Thursday 19 July 2012

Surfin USA

As part of my desire to either be assimilated by norcal or be entirely cliche, I started learning how to surf this part weekend. I've been wanting to get out a little more during my free time and explore the beautiful north of California. As a result, this past weekend I headed down to Santa Cruz aka Surf City, USA.

Santa Cruz is really cool, hippy sort of town about 45 minutes west of Palo Alto. It's well known for its moderate temperatures, being part of the beautiful California coastline, and home to this super cool boardwalk, amusement park.


Santa Cruz is home the venerable Santa Cruz Skateboards company. If you've been around skating or snowboarding every, you're aware of this logo.




Last, but not least, Santa Cruz is very well known as being one of the surf town's of California.



Thanks to Yelp and the all powerful google, I managed to find the Santa Cruz Surf School. They are one of the few licensed surf instructors allowed to teach in the city of Santa Cruz. The instructors that I worked with were all incredibly nice and I managed to actually get up on my very first wave. So, I could say that it had nothing to do with good instruction but I'm certain it was due to good technique.




I'd have to say that I now understand the "craze" and am pretty excited about getting back out on the water. The feeling of getting picked up by the wave is something that is hard to describe but very cool.

In addition to getting out surfing, I also did a little hiking this past weekend at California's state park, Castle Rock. 

The drive up to Castle Rock through the hills between Palo Alto and the coast gave some great views of the bay:


Castle Rock parked was a zoo, there was probably hundreds of people hiking in the area.



Evidently, Castle Rock is a place that rock climbers like to come to practice there game.







No comments:

Post a Comment